Hello Sophisticated Spenders!
I have always been a huge fan of podcasts.
I regularly listen to Wall Street Journal’s Your Money Matters.
I also occasionally listen to This American Life.
A friend recently told me about a podcast named Serial and I was immediately hooked.
Here’s a synopsis:
On January 13, 1999, Adnan Syed was a hurt and vengeful ex-boyfriend who carried out a premeditated murder. Or he was a bewildered bystander, framed for a crime he could never have committed. After 15 months of reporting, we take out everything we’ve got – interviews and documents and police reports – we shake it all out, and we see what sticks.
It’s Baltimore, 1999. Hae Min Lee, a popular high-school senior, disappears after school one day. Six weeks later detectives arrest her classmate and ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, for her murder. He says he’s innocent – though he can’t exactly remember what he was doing on that January afternoon.
There you have it-a real life murder mystery.
I now invite you to take the time to listen to all 12 episodes and then come back to this blog post because a spoiler alert will follow!
First check out this Saturday Night Live skit. They actually do a great job (for once).
1. I believe Jay should be behind bars.
2. I believe Jay and Adnan know who killed Hae Min Lee.
3. Adnan’s excuse of not remembering everything he did that day HAS to be a lie. If I were accused of murder, I would do everything in my power to remember every second of that day (and provide solid proof).
4. His lawyer should have stepped down from the case because she was both in over her head and very sick.
5. I’m not sure if Adnan killed Hae Min Lee or not, but I do think that reasonable doubt was indeed present during his trial.
6. And yes, this podcast IS the reason why there was not a post on Friday 🙂