Hello Sophisticated Spenders!
If you haven’t noticed by now, I LOVE to travel.
But I’m not rich.
Sometimes I’ve traveled using Groupons, Trip Advisor, AirBNB and *dare I say….
You can’t frugally travel without Spirit Airlines yo!
Let’s start with the good:
- Transparency: You know what you’re buying. The goal of Spirit is to get you from point A to Point B. Period! No snacks, no leg room, a little bit of turbulence, no printing of your ticket for you, no e-ticket, no seat selection, no big bags!
- Here’s a tip: Never pay to pick your seat. I’m tall and their algorithms somehow know this and I always get an aisle seat.
- On time: I’ve ALWAYS arrived on time (sometimes even early) to my destinations. Not sure if this is luck because I’ve heard some horror stories. But so far, so good for me.
- It’s Cheap: The prices are always crazy low and I sometimes score a pretty cheap car rental when I book with them too. If you’re expecting fancy snacks and service, please go back to #1.
- They’re anti-hoarding: I pack like a pro when I fly Spirit. They charge for carry ons that are larger than a backpack. They are actually doing you a favor! They are preventing you from packing a whole bunch of crap you really don’t need in the first place. I can fit pretty much an entire week’s worth of clothing in my backpack.
Now the bad:
No complaints here!
The key takeaway is to know what you’re buying. I’ve flown Spirit over 20 times and I am a self proclaimed Spiritologist. My main goal with Spirit is to somewhere quickly. I’ve traveled in emergencies and booked same day tickets for awesome prices. They’ve been a lifesaver for me.
On the other hand, I know that some people REALLY hate Spirit airlines.