Hello Sophisticated Spenders!
[tweetthis]If you have a cellphone, tablet, laptop or other portable smart device, you need to read this post.[/tweetthis]
I originally wrote this post in 2011 so I’ve provided updates (in parenthesis).
So I lost my cellphone on Wednesday. I left it on the bus while on the way to work. And I am still without a phone 🙁 (I’d say I’ve had like 4 different cellphones since then: iPhone 4, 4S, Samsung Galaxy S5 and now the S7 Edge)
But I also lost my notepad app and I had written lots of blog posts on there. So my advice to you is to:
1. Passcode Lock Your Phone! This was priceless. The person who found my phone was not able to get access to any of my bank accounts, my Amazon.com account, any emails or pictures. The iPhone also had a feature where after 10 unsuccessful attempts, the phone shuts down and erases everything. I know someone found it because I called the phone later that night and I got that message when they cut of your phone. (My current phone actually has a fingerprint unlock function that’s pretty cool!)
2. Backup-EVERYTHING! I know I haven’t backed up the phone in a while. So I lost some contacts, some pictures but most importantly my notepad. My friend told me about an app called Dropbox. It’s like the cloud app where you can sync and save everything! And you can access it from anywhere. (Everything seems to backup automatically these days. I’m not even sure how or when that even happens)
3. Get The Tracking App! Another friend told me about an app for Android phones called Lookout. I think you don’t pay for the service until you actually need it. It is a phone tracking app. This app promotes a lot of vigilante actions. You can go to the person’s house (either alone or with the cops) and reclaim your property! I need to find out what the iPhone version of this app is! I don’t think the iPhone version is free. (So I’ve lost an iPad Mini since this original post. I used the tracking app but the person was gone and it wasn’t very accurate and there was no way I was knocking on the door of a thief’s home.)
4. Address/Phone Number On Screensaver! Some people have a note on the screensaver that simply reads: “If found please call (888)555-1234. Hefty reward offered” I’m not sure if I will do this or not on my next phone. (I have not followed this advice….yet!)
5. Pay Attention! This isn’t the first time I’ve left my phone somewhere. I was lucky last time and our server at TGI Friday’s turned it in for me. So please pay attention the next time you are using your phone and are about to head off to your next destination! (So far so good…I think. I now have insurance on my phone and haven’t lost it.)
(6. (Bonus) Get a case and screen protector! My previous phones had cracked screens. My new policy is to not leave the store without a case. I was waiting on my new case to arrive from Amazon.com when the screen on my previous phone shattered. I really wish I hadn’t left the place without protection.)
Does anyone have any other tips or cellphone horror stories? Does anyone know anything about these apps?
If you think someone else can benefit from this information please share!